Sportsfan 1330’s Jordan Goethe lives for the NFL Draft, and in turn lives for putting together mock drafts. He offered his first look at the late-April event about two weeks ago. Here is his updated – 2.0 – prediction of who will choose who.
1) Ari: Edge Joey Bosa Ohio State
2) SF: Edge Josh Allen Kentucky
3) NYJ: DT Quinnen Williams Alabama
4) Oak: DE Clelin Ferrell Clemson
When the Raiders traded away Khalil Mack before last season, it left a huge void on the defensive line and they struggled to get any type of pass rush. It’s tough to find good elite pass rushers in this league and Coach Jon Gruden even said that himself this past season. It’s time for the Raiders to finally find that No. 1 pass rusher they desperately need.
5) TB: OT Jonah Williams Alabama
6) NYG: QB Dwayne Haskins Ohio State
7) Jax: OT Cody Ford Oklahoma
8) Det: Edge Rashan Gary Michigan
It sounds like Ziggy Ansah is on his way out as a free agent, which means the Lions need to find his replacement. Former No. 1 overall recruit Rashan Gary can play all over the defensive line and will definitely fill a big need for the Lions as they try to rebuild.
9) Buf: WR DK Metcalf Ole Miss
QB Josh Allen ended the year on a strong note, and now it’s up to the Bills’ front office to build around their QB of the future. Google DK Metcalf, and if you include his athletic playmaking ability with his body shape, Oh Boy! If that doesn’t strike fear to opposing teams, I don’t know what will.
10) Den: LB Devin White LSU
The Broncos parted ways with inside linebacker Brandon Marshall. Is White the logical replacement?
11) Cin: OT Jawaan Taylor Florida
It’s simple: The Bengals have to fix their offensive line and give QB Andy Dalton a chance to throw the ball to Pro Bowl wideout AJ Green.
12) GB: Edge Montez Sweat Miss State
This is a very heavy defensive draft, which happens to be great for the Green Bay Packers who are in desperate need of finding a really good pass rusher. In my first mock, I had the Packers selecting Florida’s Jachai Polite, which I could still see happening. But Sweat had a really good week down in Mobile for the Senior Bowl. He has been slowly rising up team draft boards, and now there is talk he could be selected within the top 15 picks. Montez was really productive in his last two years at Mississippi State, finishing with over 30.5 tackles for loss and 23.5 sacks. He is a guy who knows how to get to the QB in a hurry.
13) Mia: QB Kyler Murray Oklahoma
14) Atl: DT Ed Oliver Houston
15) Wsh: QB Drew Lock Missouri
Quarterback might not be the biggest need for the Redskins if they still believe Alex Smith can return from his devastating season-ending leg injury, but at some point you do have to start looking for your QB of the future. Drew Lock could be that guy. And he someone who could benefit tremendously by sitting for a year and learning.
16) Car: CB Greedy Williams LSU
17) Cle: OT Andre Dillard Washington State
18) Min: OT Greg Little Ole Miss
19) Ten: WR Marquise Brown Oklahoma
The Titans love speed, and after a disappointing season where Tennessee just barely missed out on the playoffs, they have to continue building around QB Marcus Mariota. Marquise “Hollywood” Brown is a dynamic, fast playmaker the Titans really need to balance out their big rushing attack.
20) Pit: CB Byron Murphy Washington
21) Sea: Edge Brian Burns Florida State
22) Bal: Edge Jachai Polite Florida
23) Hou: OT Dalton Risner Kansas State
24) Oak: TE TJ Hockenson Iowa
TJ Hockenson feels like a Jon Gruden/Mike Mayock type of a guy, and with the Raiders having three first-round picks, I can easily see them selecting a playmaking TE with one of those picks. Iowa has a chance to have not one, but two TEs chosen in the first round with Noah Fant.
25) Phi: DT Christian Wilkins Clemson
26) Ind: WR N’Keal Harry Arizona State
27) Oak: RB Josh Jacobs Alabama
28) LAC: LB Devin Bush Michigan
29) KC: S Deionte Thompson Alabama
30) GB: WR Deebo Samuel South Carolina
If the Packers get a pass rusher with their 12th overall pick, they need to use their second first-rounder to get QB Aaron Rodgers help. Green Bay can do that by either drafting more offensive line depth or another playmaker like a TJ Hockenson or Deebo Samuel. The South Carolina product was outstanding in Mobile throughout the week of practice and in the Senior Bowl. His footwork was so good, he was making the other defensive backs look silly play after play. And that doesn’t even include his playmaking ability and his catch radius, which is very good as well. The Packers can’t go wrong if they end up selecting a guy like Samuel.
31) LAR: CB DeAndre Baker Georgia
32) NE: DT Dexter Lawrence Clemson
— Jordan Goethe, Sportsfan 1330